In our fast-paced, modern, and competitive world, taking care of our mental health has become more crucial than ever. The demands of work, relationships, and everyday life can easily take a toll on our emotional well-being.
Whether for yourself as an adult or for your child, incorporating simple, effective strategies into our daily routines can help promote and prioritize your mental health. In this blog, we’ll review strategies to do just that.
BLOOM’s vast library of online courses provides you with the at-home resources you need to prioritize your own mental health and that of your child. Save time and money with access to professional support from the comfort of your home. Discover BLOOM courses.
6 Daily Ways to Improve Mental Health
Millions of people across the United States are affected by mental illness, both children and adults alike. It’s essential to think about ways adults and children can learn to cope, treat, and talk about mental health.
While professional treatment is sometimes necessary, you can take part in daily practices to prioritize and improve your mental health as well.
- Spend Time Outdoors: one of the best ways to give yourself some care is by spending time outdoors. Depending on the month of the year and the weather, accompanying this time with a warm drink or an iced tea can be a restorative mental practice.
- Exercise Regularly: physical activity isn’t just good for your body but also for your mind. Regular exercise for kids and adults releases endorphins, which are natural mood lifters. Find an activity you enjoy, whether it’s jogging, yoga, dancing, or simply going for a walk. The goal is to spend time doing something that quiets the mind. For some people, that may be an exercise class; for others, it could be doing yoga, prayer, or participating in some kind of meditation class.
- Eat Healthy: ensure you are well hydrated and eat consistent meals daily. Start your eating early in the day and end early in the evening. Focus on foods that agree with your body and make you feel good.
- Connect with Others: human connection is fundamental to mental health. Make an effort to nurture your relationships with friends and family. Share your thoughts and feelings with trusted individuals, and don’t hesitate to seek support when needed. It can be helpful to maintain a balanced schedule of spending time with family or friends as socialization and some time alone.
- Limit Screen Time and Social Media: Excessive screen time, especially on social media, can negatively impact mental health. It’s easy to fall into the trap of comparing your life to others or experiencing information overload. Set boundaries for your screen time, and consider taking regular breaks from social media. Engage in activities that don’t involve screens, such as reading, hobbies, or spending time outdoors.
- Prioritize Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for mental health. Poor sleep can lead to increased stress, irritability, and difficulty concentrating. Create a sleep-friendly environment by keeping your bedroom dark, calm, and quiet. Establish a consistent sleep schedule, and avoid screens and caffeine close to bedtime. You can also consider using a vibration plate when feeling intense emotion or to help you sleep.
Enhance Your Mental Health
Incorporating intentional strategies into your daily life can significantly enhance your mental health and overall well-being. Remember that self-care is an ongoing process, and seeking help is okay if you or your child are struggling with ongoing mental health challenges.
Every life and every child is precious and special and has unique needs. If your child needs extra care from specialists and other care providers, this can affect your and your child’s mental health.
BLOOM is here to support your parenting journey. Our in-depth courses equip you, the parent, to take over key elements of supporting your child with expert instruction and practical methods on everything from mental health, sleep challenges, tantrums, sensory issues, and more.
We provide videos, exercises, practical guidance, and how-tos to help you support your child so you can grow together. We help you consistently provide your child with the care they need while helping you recover time and money, reducing the need for you to travel to and pay for an ever-increasing list of therapists or support teams.
You gain what you need, plus regain the joy of raising your one-of-a-kind child. BLOOM is available to all parents and supports your or your child’s mental health journey. By prioritizing mental health for both you and your child, you’ll be better equipped to navigate life’s ups and downs with resilience and positivity.